POSTED: 9:28 pm PST February 28, 2008
UPDATED: 10:55 pm PST February 28, 2008
Ricin 6,000 Times More Toxic Than Cyanide
LAS VEGAS — Metro Homeland Security reports four people were sent to the hospital for possible ricin poisoning at the Extended-Stay America hotel at West Flamingo Road and South Valley View Boulevard.
At about 3 p.m. Thursday, an employee found a substance in one of the hotel’s apartments when he was cleaning it and took it to the office. The four people, three of whom were employees, who were exposed to the substance were sent to the hospital, and the area surrounding the apartment was evacuated, according to Metro.
As of Thursday night, the four people were OK.
Preliminary reports indicate the substance may have been ricin, a substance that is 6,000 times more toxic than cyanide. There is no known antidote.
For full story click here.