Sen. Ted Kennedy Hospitalized After Suffering 2 Seizures

Saturday, May 17, 2008
Source FOXNews.com

Sen. Ted Kennedy has been hospitalized in Boston after apparently suffering two seizures Saturday morning.

The Massachusetts senator’s current condition is not known, but he does not appear to have had a stroke as was initially suspected.

One Democratic source told FOX News Kennedy suffered one seizure in the morning, and then another en route to Massachuetts General Hospital, where he is being evaluated.

A spokeswoman confirmed he had at least one seizure in the morning.

“He is undergoing a battery of tests at Massachusetts General Hospital to determine the cause of the seizure,” Kennedy’s Senate office said in a statement. “Senator Kennedy is resting comfortably, and it is unlikely we will know anything more for the next 48 hours.”

Kennedy is at the hospital with his wife, Victoria, and was visited there by Senate colleague John Kerry, D-Mass. The hospital is highly regarded and Kennedy has received treatment there before for other medical problems.

Kennedy was flown to the Boston hospital an hour after first being admitted to the emergency room at Cape Cod Hospital at about 9 a.m., hospital spokesman David Reilly told FOXNews.com.

Continue article

PHOTOS

Advertisements

Breaking News -New York Governor Eliot Spitzer Resigns

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spitzer Resigns Effective Monday Amid Links to Prostitution Ring

NEW YORK —  New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer resigned in disgrace Wednesday after getting caught in a call-girl scandal that shattered his corruption-fighting, straight-arrow image, saying: “I cannot allow my private failings to disrupt the people’s work.”

Spitzer will be replaced by Lt. Gov. David Paterson, who becomes New York’s first black governor, effective Monday. Spitzer’s minute-long statement made no mention of whether he had reached a deal with federal prosecutors to avoid charges

For Spitzer’s apology continue here

Breaking News:Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency After Half-Century in Power

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Although his resignation was anticipated due to his declining health I don’t think it was expected this early….flagranny2

HAVANA —  An ailing Fidel Castro resigned as Cuba’s president Tuesday after nearly a half-century in power, saying he will not accept a new term when the new parliament meets Sunday.“I will not aspire to nor accept — I repeat, I will not aspire to nor accept — the post of President of the Council of State and Commander in Chief,” read a letter signed by Castro published early Tuesday in the online edition of the Communist Party daily Granma.The announcement effectively ends the rule of the 81-year-old Castro after almost 50 years, positioning his 76-year-old brother Raul for permanent succession to the presidency. Fidel Castro temporarily ceded his powers to his brother on July 31, 2006, when he announced that he had undergone intestinal surgery.Since then, the elder Castro has not been seen in public, appearing only sporadically in official photographs and videotapes and publishing dense essays about mostly international themes as his younger brother has consolidated his rule.A new National Assembly was elected in January, and will meet for the first time Sunday to pick the governing Council of State, including the presidency that Fidel Castro has held for decades. There had been wide speculation about whether he would continue in that role.

Castro rose to power on New Year’s Day 1959 and reshaped Cuba into a communist state 90 miles from U.S. shores. The fiery guerrilla leader survived assassination attempts, a CIA-backed invasion and a missile crisis that brought the world to the brink of nuclear war. Ten U.S. administrations tried to topple him, most famously in the disastrous Bay of Pigs invasion of 1961.

His ironclad rule ensured Cuba remained communist long after the breakup of the Soviet Union and the collapse of communism across Eastern Europe.

Monarchs excepted, Castro was the world’s longest ruling head of state.

Raul Castro had long been his brother’s designated successor. The longtime defense minister had been in his brother’s rebel movements since 1953 and spent decades as No. 2 in Cuba’s power structure.

The United States, bent on ensuring neither brother is in power, built a detailed plan in 2005 for American assistance ………[continued]

Questions, not answers, highlight YouTube debate – Democratic Presidential

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (CNN)
This past Monday night 8 Democratic Presidential hopefuls were at the Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina to participate in the most unusual debate ever.  For the first time they did not field questions compiled by journalists nor did they take questions from the audience.  This debate was hosted by CNN with questions submitted though YouTube, a web site that well known for making online videos. 

The following link is a link to a video, which I think you will enjoy,  that highlights 11 short segments of the debate some of which are quite humorous and, in my opinion,  probably pretty much sumed up as to how the whole debate went.  Actually it was just enough for me as I just feel that from now till the last hour all candidates will change their platforms many times over according to how they are running in the polls. 

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/23/debate.main/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

However if you missed the debate and are interested in watching it I’ve included the links for you and wish you good luck.   

Click on the following links to watch segments of the entire debate.

Watch Part 1 of the debate Video
Candidates weigh in on what makes them different, what exactly is “liberal,” race and its influence on the response to Hurricane Katrina and same-sex marriage.
Download: iPod compatible | Microsoft Windows Media

Watch Part 2 of the debate Video
Candidates discuss Darfur, Iraq withdrawal, women registering for selective service and meeting with leaders of other countries.
Download: iPod compatible | Microsoft Windows Media

Watch Part 3 of the debate Video
Questions via YouTube cover issues ranging from their favorite teacher, No Child Left Behind, public vs. private schools, sex education, Al Gore, global warming and alternative energy.
Download: iPod compatible | Microsoft Windows Media

Watch Part 4 of the debate Video
Candidates tackles issues including minimum wage, Social Security, taxes, health care and religion.
Download: iPod compatible | Microsoft Windows Media

SENATE DEBATES IMMIGRATION DEAL (will vote on it before Memorial Day)

SENATE DEBATES IMMIGRATION DEAL

Do you support or oppose the negotiated deal to address the illegal immigrant situation. Which of the provisions listed by the Associated Press below do you agree with? Which do you oppose. Tell Congress and the President your views as there will be a vote before Memorial Day.

CURRENT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

  • They could come forward immediately and receive probationary legal status.
  • Bill creates a four-year, renewable “Z” visa for those present within the U.S. unlawfully before Jan. 1, 2007.
  • Undocumented immigrants may adjust status to lawful permanent residence once they pay $5,000 in fees and fines and their head of household returns to their home country.
  • People under age 30 who were brought to the U.S. as minors could receive their green cards after three years, rather than eight.
  • Undocumented farmworkers who can demonstrate they have worked 150 hours or three years in agriculture can apply for green cards.
  • No green cards for “Z” visa holders can be processed until “triggers” for border security and workplace enforcement have been met, estimated to take 18 months. Processing of green cards for holders of “Z” visas would begin after clearing an existing backlog, which is expected to take eight years.

BORDER SECURITY

  • Hire 18,000 new border patrol agents.
  • Erect 200 miles of vehicle barriers and 370 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border.
  • Erect 70 ground-based radar and camera towers along the southern border.
  • Deploy four unmanned aerial vehicles and supporting systems.
  • End the program in which illegal immigrants are released upon apprehension.
  • Provide for detaining up to 27,500 aliens per day on an annual basis.
  • Use secure and effective identification tools to prevent unauthorized work.

WORKPLACE ENFORCEMENT

  • Require employers to electronically verify new employees to prove identity and work eligibility.
  • Increase penalties for unlawful hiring, employment and record keeping violations.

GUEST WORKERS (requires border security measures to be in place first)

  • Create a new temporary guest worker program with two-year “Y visas,” initially capped at 400,000 per year with annual adjustments based on market fluctuations
  • Workers could renew the Y visa up to three times, but would be required to return home for a year in between each time. Those bringing dependents could obtain only one, nonrenewable two-year visa.
  • Families could accompany guest workers only if they could show proof of medical insurance and demonstrate that their wages were 150 percent above the poverty level.

FUTURE IMMIGRANTS

  • Spouses and minor children of U.S. citizens and permanent residents would be eligible for green cards based purely on their family connections, but other relatives such as adult children and siblings would not.
  • 380,000 visas a year would be awarded based on a point system, with about 50 percent based on employment criteria, 25 percent based on education, 15 percent on English proficiency and 10 percent on family connections.
  • Apply new limits to U.S. citizens seeking to bring foreign-born parents into the country.
  • Visas for parents of U.S. citizens would be capped annually at 40,000 and those for spouses and children at 87,000.

There is a lot of controversy regarding this subject so if you wish to voice your opinion here is a chance by clicking here and follow the instructions by entering either “support” or “oppose” in the subject and the message body.

A Casualty Of War: MySpace (and other web sites)

U.S. Military Blocks Popular Web Sites

By Alan Sipress and Sam Diaz

Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, May 15, 2007; Page A01

The Defense Department began blocking access on its computers to YouTube, MySpace and 11 other Web sites yesterday, severing some of the most popular ties linking U.S. troops in combat areas to their far-flung relatives and friends, and depriving soldiers of a favorite diversion from the boredom of overseas duty.

The banned Web sites include some of the Internet’s most popular destinations for social networking and sharing photographs, videos and audio recordings. Soldiers and their families frequent the sites to exchange notes, swap pictures and share recorded messages — a form of digital communication that, along with e-mail, has largely replaced the much-anticipated mail call of previous wars.

Senior officers said they enacted the worldwide ban out of concern that the rapidly increasing use of these sites threatened to overwhelm the military’s private Internet network and risk the disclosure of combat-sensitive material.

The Defense Department began blocking access to these Web sites yesterday:

MySpace, YouTub, Photobucket, Metacafe, MTV, iFilm, Hi5, Pandora, Live365, BlackPlanet, 1.FM, StupidVideos, Filecabi, SOURCE: Staff reports

Read the rest of this entry »