ORANGE BEACH, Ala. — Police who chased a car for miles along a highway at speeds up to 100 mph said the driver was drunk, hardly a rarity in this resort town. But there was more: When they looked inside the flipped vehicle with guns drawn, they found an 11-year-old girl at the wheel.
“You go up there thinking it’s a felon you’re dealing with,” assistant police Chief Greg Duck said.
The girl, who was slightly injured in the crash, is now charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, speeding, reckless endangerment and leaving the scene of an accident. Duck said she sideswiped another vehicle during the roughly 8-mile chase.
The chase began around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday when a patrol officer near the Florida line saw the car speeding west along a beach highway, Duck said. When the officer flicked on his lights, the driver sped up. The girl rolled the car just inside the Gulf Shores city limit.
Duck said the girl, whose name was not released because of her age, told police she was on her way to pick up her sister at a concert.
Investigators found no alcohol in the car but believe the girl drank before getting behind the wheel of the car, which belongs to relatives.
Duck declined to release the girl’s blood alcohol level but said a blood test at the hospital showed it was higher than .02, the legal limit for minors.
Why waste a temper tantrum if nobody is around to see it????
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
OTTAWA, Ill. — An Illinois 8-year-old got more than a hamburger and french fries when she opened her Happy Meal this week.
A 17-year-old employee of an Ottawa, Ill., McDonald’s is out of work and facing drug charges after allegedly hiding marijuana and a lighter in the Happy Meal.
Keith Irelan and his three children went through a McDonald’s drive-thru Monday night to order Happy Meals. They were on their way to meet their mother at a nearby school for a picnic, police said.
But one of the children — an 8-year-old girl — got a lighter, pipe, and bag of marijuana in her Happy Meal, according to Ottawa Police Chief Brian Zeilmann. Her father went to the police.
“To be honest, you don’t expect that,” Irelan told FOX Chicago affiliate WFLD-TV.
“She said ‘Mom, I have a lighter in my Happy Meal,'” the girl’s mother said.
The girl showed the lighter to her dad, then told him later that she got two other “toys” in her Happy Meal. One of those toys was a bag of marijuana.
“She said ‘What is this?'” Irelan said. “Right then and there, I knew what it was.”
McDonald’s employee Brandon Scott of Ottawa was fired on the spot, then arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
“Indications are the subject placed them in an empty box, intent on hiding the items,” Zeilmann told WFLD-TV.
McDonald’s owners cooperated with the investigation that led to the arrest, Zeilmann said. The store apologized, but the Irelan family said they still may sue, WFLD-TV reported.
Information source: Foxnews.com
TOKYO, Japan (AP) — A Japanese drop box for unwanted babies triggered a wave of nationwide soul searching Wednesday, a day after it was discovered a preschooler — and not an infant — had been dumped there by his father on its first day of operation.
Nationally circulated newspapers warned that the anonymous drop-off, known as “Stork’s Cradle,” is open for abuse and could traumatize youngsters. They also condemned the father, saying his action could spur copycats.
The drop-off was opened last Thursday by the Catholic-run Jikei Hospital in the southern city of Kumamoto to discourage abortions and the abandonment of children in unsafe public places. The same day, a boy believed to be 3 was found inside.
The boy, who was in good health, reportedly said he was dropped off by his father, who was seen holding the youngster’s hand as they approached the hospital. They apparently rode Japan’s bullet train to Kumamoto, but it was unclear where they lived.
“I came with Daddy,” the boy was quoted as saying by the Mainichi newspaper.
The find triggered a wave of outrage among political leaders on Tuesday, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe saying “Anonymously throwing out a child is unacceptable.” He urged parents to consult social workers for help if raising children gets too tough.
Local media reported that the boy was able to identify himself by name. But it was unclear whether the father had been identified.
The hospital has refused to comment on the case, citing privacy concerns, but said there were age limits on its drop-off service.
Police have decided no crime was committed in the current case because the child was left in a situation in which it was not exposed to immediate harm, Kyodo News reported Wednesday.
“We must rethink the meaning of the baby drop-off,” the conservative Sankei newspaper said in an editorial. “Unlike a baby, a toddler may suffer from trauma.”
“This little boy must be experiencing great loneliness. We urge his mother or father to come forward,” the newspaper said, calling his abandonment “unforgivable.”
The Yomiuri newspaper said it was too early to judge the baby-drop, but said that it must be used for its original purpose of receiving newborns, not young children. Parents should also be encouraged to seek outside help before dumping their offspring.
The Mainichi said the misuse of the box could inspire copycats.
A small hatch on the side of the hospital has been set up to allow people to drop off babies into an incubator 24 hours a day.
The drop box was created after a series of high-profile cases in which newborn babies were left behind in parks and supermarkets, triggering a public outcry and government warnings against abandoning babies.
Information source: cnn.com
CHICKASHA, Okla. — Police arrested a man accused of attempting to sell two children, ages 1 and 5, over the Internet for sex.
Jason Todd Burns, 25, told investigators he had a conversation in an Internet chat room and promised to procure the children for a New York man for $5,000, said Grady County Assistant District Attorney Lesley March.
“His admission was that he did engage in a chat room conversation and that the conversation dealt with Burns arranging for and quoting a price for the other individual to have sex with a 1- and a 5-year-old girl,” March said.
March said it was unclear if Burns offered his own children for sale.
“That is still under investigation,” March said. “We know that he has two children who reside in the Comanche County area. He also has a stepchild in Chickasha who would fall into this age range.”
Several children were removed from Burns’ Chickasha home, said OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown.
Burns was being held in the Grady County jail Monday and was scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday, March said.
Prosecutors plan to file a charge of transmitting information by computer for purposes of instigating sexual contact with a minor, a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison, March said.
Authorities seized two computers from Burns’ home which were being searched by investigators for additional information.
“We’re filing one count, but it’s early on in the investigation,” March said. “There may be more counts forthcoming.”
March said the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children picked up on the possible transaction and alerted New York State Police.
The investigation expanded to include the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation and the Chickasha Police Department, and Burns was arrested Saturday.
Information source: Fox News