Austrian Man Confesses to Keeping Daughter, Her Children Captive in Cellar

Monday, April 28, 2008

AMSTETTEN, Austria —  A man has confessed to imprisoning his daughter for 24 years in a windowless cell with a soundproofed door and fathering seven children with her including three who “never saw sunlight,” police said Monday.

The man, now 73, also told investigators that he tossed the body of one of the children in an incinerator when the infant died shortly after birth, said Franz Polzer, head of the Lower Austrian Bureau of Criminal Affairs.

“We are being confronted with an unfathomable crime,” Interior Minister Guenther Platter said.

The daughter, who is now 42, had been missing since 1984 and was found by police in the town of Amstetten on Saturday evening after police received a tip. She and her children have been placed in psychiatric care.

Police on Monday released several photos showing parts of the cramped basement cell, with a small bathroom and a narrow passageway leading to a tiny bedroom. Investigators said an electronic keyless-entry system apparently kept the daughter from escaping from the cell, which was made of solid reinforced concrete.

Click here to see photos of Josef F. and the “House of Horrors.”

For full story click [ HERE  ]

 

Update: Alleged Child Rapist’s Case Under Appeal for Dismissal – Stating “Improper Decision to Dismiss” as State felt accused understood English therefore did not need an interpreter

1:45PM 7/23/07

The following information was given today at a news conference on Fox News.

Fox News aired the news conference when State’s Attorney John McCarthy reported his office was appealing the court’s decision of dismissing this case on the grounds that it was an “improper decision” to dismiss the case due to lack of finding an interpreter and in doing so delayed the accused’s right to a speedy trial. 

The reason for this is the fact the accused does speak English.  He sought assylum here in the states where he attended and graduated from high school and continued on to community college for 2 years.  It is the law you can not graduate from high school without being able to speak English.  Since the accused could speak English the court was wrong in delaying the trial for 3 years while trying to find an interpreter.   Even after one had stepped forward just recently the judge still dismissed the case. 

The terrible part is if this case is not allowed to be brought back to trial this could set a precedent for many immigrants whose native language is NOT English.

Alleged Child Rapist Goes Free Because Court Can’t Find Interpreter

Md. Judge Dismisses Sex-Abuse Charges

By Ernesto Londoño
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 22, 2007

This is without a doubt one of the worst, if not THE worst case, that shows the quality or “lack of” in our judicial system to allow something as horrible as this to occur.  Not only did it allow this to occur but in my mind this may very well have set a precedent for anyone where English is not their native language. 

Washington Post – Full story 

A 7-year-old girl said she had been raped and repeatedly molested over the course of a year. Police in Montgomery County, acting on information from a relative, soon arrested a Liberian immigrant living in Gaithersburg. They marshaled witnesses and DNA evidence to prepare for trial.

What was missing — for much of the nearly three years that followed — was an interpreter fluent in the suspect’s native language. A judge recently dropped the charges, not because she found that Mahamu Kanneh had been wrongly accused but because repeated delays in the case had, in her view, violated his right to a speedy trial.

“This is one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to make in a long time,” Katherine D. Savage said from the bench Tuesday, noting that she was mindful of “the gravity of this case and the community’s concern about offenses of this type.”

Loretta E. Knight, the Circuit Court clerk responsible for finding interpreters, said her office searched exhaustively for a speaker of Vai, a tribal language spoken in West Africa.

[Kanneh was granted asylum in the United States, according to State’s Attorney John McCarthy. A conviction could have led to deportation proceedings.]

[Kanneh was arrested in August 2004 after witnesses told police that he raped and repeatedly sexually molested the girl, a relative.

In a charging document, Detective Omar Hasan wrote that the girl “attempted to physically stop the behavior from the defendant, but was unsuccessful.” Hasan wrote that Kanneh threatened the young girl “with not being able to leave the apartment unless she engaged in sexual behavior with the defendant.”]                                                                                                          

Wanted Sex Offender, Mark Petersimes, Caught in Denver

Sunday, July 08, 2007

I can’t begin to count the number of articles I’ve read where criminals have cut off their GPS tracking ankle bracelet and are right back doing whatever it was that earned them the ankle jewerly to being with.  

You would think with all that is available today and so many skilled techies out there that someone couldn’t come up with a device that once it is locked around the ankle there would be no way to cut it off.   I just don’t understand how we can send someone into space yet we can’t make an ankle bracelet that stays on a criminal. – flagranny2

Just two hours before America’s Most Wanted was to air a profile on Mark Petersimes, the sex offender wanted by authorities was caught in Denver.

Petersimes, 47, was arrested Saturday night when an 11-year-old girl went into a Family Dollar store in Lakewood and told a clerk a man had attempted to rape her, according to MyFoxColorado.com.

Click here to see his profile page on America’s Most Wanted.

The clerk confronted Petersimes about the allegation and called police. He attempted to escape, but cops caught up to him and arrested him.

Petersimes had been on the run for more than a year after he escaped from a halfway house in Dallas. He cut off his GPS tracking ankle bracelet and disappeared on May 2, 2006, according to America’s Most Wanted.

His rap sheet extends back to 1981, when he was convicted of attempted rape in North Carolina and served two years.

Most recently, Petersimes was convicted in 1991 of sexually assaulting two young girls and served 12 years. In 2003, after release, he was put in a halfway house. He escaped, and had to serve more jail time. He was then put in another halfway house, but escaped again this past May.

He is being held in a Jefferson county jail on $1 million bond.

Tip snares alleged child molester on FBI top 10 list (another one off the street)

POSTED: 12:57 p.m. EDT, May 13, 2007

vert1143goldbergfbi.jpgLOS ANGELES, California (CNN) — A tip from a Canadian resident ended Richard Steve Goldberg’s stint on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list, and the alleged child molester is now awaiting extradition, the bureau said.

According to the Web site for the television show, “America’s Most Wanted,” Goldberg had been seeing a nonprofit counselor under the alias Terry Wayne Kearns. He allegedly told the counselor he was an American fugitive, but the charges against him were “trumped up,” the Web site said.

The counselor told a friend, who found Goldberg on the FBI Web site, according to “America’s Most Wanted.”

The 61-year-old former engineer had been on the run for six years after he was charged in 2001 with producing child pornography, two counts of possessing child pornography and six counts of performing lewd acts on a child, the FBI said. He also faces unlawful flight charges.

Authorities in Long Beach, California, say Goldberg engaged in sexual acts with girls younger than 10 for five months in 2001. Authorities also allege they found images of the sex acts on Goldberg’s computer, a federal crime.

“Goldberg gained the trust of [neighborhood] parents and then befriended their children. He entertained the girls by allowing them to play with his pets, watch television and use his computer to play games. Some of these girls also took short trips with him,” according to the June 2002 FBI news release announcing Goldberg’s inclusion on the most-wanted list.

The president of a gun club in Long Beach, California, Goldberg was considered armed and dangerous, according to the FBI.

Goldberg was captured in Montreal, Quebec, early Saturday after the tip from Canada, said Long Beach Police Chief Anthony Batts and J. Stephen Tidwell, assistant FBI director in Los Angeles.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Montreal Police Service arrested Goldberg without incident for violating Canadian immigration laws, the statement said.

Canadian authorities are holding Goldberg on the immigration violation. He is scheduled to be in court Monday.

Goldberg is expected to be extradited to the United States to face the California and federal charges, Tidwell and Batts said.

A reward of up to $100,000 had been offered for information leading directly to Goldberg’s arrest. The FBI news release did not mention the reward.

Information source: CNN.com

Woman Who Posed As Boy Pleads Guilty

Published: May 10, 2007

Filed at 11:30 a.m. ET

“I know there are sick people out there but reality never sets in until reading articles like this.”

EVERETT, Wash. (AP) — A woman who posed as an homeless orphaned boy, befriended a teenage girl and was taken into her family’s home has pleaded guilty to child molestation.

Prosecutors say they would seek the maximum one-year jail term for Lorelei J. Corpuz, 30, who entered her plea Wednesday. Charges of third-degree child rape were dropped last month.

Authorities said Corpuz, who cropped her hair and stands 5-foot-3, passed herself off as 17-year-old Mark Villanueva after meeting the girl at a mall in September 2005. Her parents, immigrants who speak little English, later let Corpuz live at their home.

The deception became known after a traffic stop led to Corpuz’s arrest on an unrelated warrant. The girl was in the car and told police that Corpuz was her boyfriend, according to documents filed in court.

Although Corpuz had sexual contact with the girl, ”the suspect never let victim see her/his private parts and victim always thought that suspect was male until officer informed her otherwise,” Police Officer Don de Nevens wrote. The girl also said Corpuz beat her and bit her twice on the back, leaving a scar.

The girl and her family were not in court Wednesday. Deputy Prosecutor Mark Roe said they were relieved by the outcome of the case, which drew wide attention.

”They just want to be left alone. Being a victim of a felony sex offense should not turn you into a sideshow,” Roe said.

Sentencing was set for June 18.

After serving her sentence, Corpuz must register as a sex offender, and she remains under investigation for fraud and other sex offenses, including accusations in Kitsap County that closely resemble the Everett case, authorities said.

In that case, detectives looked into whether Corpuz had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old Bremerton girl three years ago.

That girl gave a nearly identical account of what happened in Everett — someone posing as an orphan named Mark and being allowed to move into her home, Deputy Scott Wilson said.

Information source: The New York Times