3 Siblings Locked In Closet; 2 Die

September 23, 2010
Source: WESH.com

Mother Returned 10 Hours Later After Visiting Friend

Ebyan Farah, 28, is charged with eight counts of neglect and confinement.

INDIANAPOLIS — A 7-year-old Indianapolis girl told investigators she and four siblings usually slept when barricaded in an apartment closet by their mother, but last weekend she called out for the woman to open the door after realizing her brother and sister had died, according to court documents released Thursday.

[….told investigators her mother often put children in the closet as punishment or when she needed to cook……]

Austrian Man Confesses to Keeping Daughter, Her Children Captive in Cellar

Monday, April 28, 2008

AMSTETTEN, Austria —  A man has confessed to imprisoning his daughter for 24 years in a windowless cell with a soundproofed door and fathering seven children with her including three who “never saw sunlight,” police said Monday.

The man, now 73, also told investigators that he tossed the body of one of the children in an incinerator when the infant died shortly after birth, said Franz Polzer, head of the Lower Austrian Bureau of Criminal Affairs.

“We are being confronted with an unfathomable crime,” Interior Minister Guenther Platter said.

The daughter, who is now 42, had been missing since 1984 and was found by police in the town of Amstetten on Saturday evening after police received a tip. She and her children have been placed in psychiatric care.

Police on Monday released several photos showing parts of the cramped basement cell, with a small bathroom and a narrow passageway leading to a tiny bedroom. Investigators said an electronic keyless-entry system apparently kept the daughter from escaping from the cell, which was made of solid reinforced concrete.

Click here to see photos of Josef F. and the “House of Horrors.”

For full story click [ HERE  ]

 

Alleged Child Rapist Goes Free Because Court Can’t Find Interpreter

Md. Judge Dismisses Sex-Abuse Charges

By Ernesto Londoño
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 22, 2007

This is without a doubt one of the worst, if not THE worst case, that shows the quality or “lack of” in our judicial system to allow something as horrible as this to occur.  Not only did it allow this to occur but in my mind this may very well have set a precedent for anyone where English is not their native language. 

Washington Post – Full story 

A 7-year-old girl said she had been raped and repeatedly molested over the course of a year. Police in Montgomery County, acting on information from a relative, soon arrested a Liberian immigrant living in Gaithersburg. They marshaled witnesses and DNA evidence to prepare for trial.

What was missing — for much of the nearly three years that followed — was an interpreter fluent in the suspect’s native language. A judge recently dropped the charges, not because she found that Mahamu Kanneh had been wrongly accused but because repeated delays in the case had, in her view, violated his right to a speedy trial.

“This is one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to make in a long time,” Katherine D. Savage said from the bench Tuesday, noting that she was mindful of “the gravity of this case and the community’s concern about offenses of this type.”

Loretta E. Knight, the Circuit Court clerk responsible for finding interpreters, said her office searched exhaustively for a speaker of Vai, a tribal language spoken in West Africa.

[Kanneh was granted asylum in the United States, according to State’s Attorney John McCarthy. A conviction could have led to deportation proceedings.]

[Kanneh was arrested in August 2004 after witnesses told police that he raped and repeatedly sexually molested the girl, a relative.

In a charging document, Detective Omar Hasan wrote that the girl “attempted to physically stop the behavior from the defendant, but was unsuccessful.” Hasan wrote that Kanneh threatened the young girl “with not being able to leave the apartment unless she engaged in sexual behavior with the defendant.”]                                                                                                          

Dad dumps preschooler in box for unwanted newborns

POSTED: 7:50 a.m. EDT, May 16, 2007

TOKYO, Japan (AP) — A Japanese drop box for unwanted babies triggered a wave of nationwide soul searching Wednesday, a day after it was discovered a preschooler — and not an infant — had been dumped there by his father on its first day of operation.

Nationally circulated newspapers warned that the anonymous drop-off, known as “Stork’s Cradle,” is open for abuse and could traumatize youngsters. They also condemned the father, saying his action could spur copycats.

The drop-off was opened last Thursday by the Catholic-run Jikei Hospital in the southern city of Kumamoto to discourage abortions and the abandonment of children in unsafe public places. The same day, a boy believed to be 3 was found inside.

The boy, who was in good health, reportedly said he was dropped off by his father, who was seen holding the youngster’s hand as they approached the hospital. They apparently rode Japan’s bullet train to Kumamoto, but it was unclear where they lived.

“I came with Daddy,” the boy was quoted as saying by the Mainichi newspaper.

The find triggered a wave of outrage among political leaders on Tuesday, with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe saying “Anonymously throwing out a child is unacceptable.” He urged parents to consult social workers for help if raising children gets too tough.

Local media reported that the boy was able to identify himself by name. But it was unclear whether the father had been identified.

The hospital has refused to comment on the case, citing privacy concerns, but said there were age limits on its drop-off service.

Police have decided no crime was committed in the current case because the child was left in a situation in which it was not exposed to immediate harm, Kyodo News reported Wednesday.

“We must rethink the meaning of the baby drop-off,” the conservative Sankei newspaper said in an editorial. “Unlike a baby, a toddler may suffer from trauma.”

“This little boy must be experiencing great loneliness. We urge his mother or father to come forward,” the newspaper said, calling his abandonment “unforgivable.”

The Yomiuri newspaper said it was too early to judge the baby-drop, but said that it must be used for its original purpose of receiving newborns, not young children. Parents should also be encouraged to seek outside help before dumping their offspring.

The Mainichi said the misuse of the box could inspire copycats.

A small hatch on the side of the hospital has been set up to allow people to drop off babies into an incubator 24 hours a day.

The drop box was created after a series of high-profile cases in which newborn babies were left behind in parks and supermarkets, triggering a public outcry and government warnings against abandoning babies.

Information source: cnn.com

Woman Gets Prison for Caging Grandson

The Associated Press
Saturday, May 12, 2007; 3:30 AM
How in the hell can they consider child abuse misdemeanor. I don’t understand it I think they need to take a hard look at their crimes = punishments every where as this should not even have the word “misdemeanor” in the sentencing at all. It just makes me sick.
BRIGHTON, Colo. — A 62-year-old woman was sentenced to three years in prison for locking her grandson inside a dog kennel every night for three years while she went to work as a jail counselor.

Under a plea bargain, June Candelario was also sentenced Friday to one year of probation.

“I cannot imagine any society that would say it is just and fair to inflict this harm on a child that cannot protect himself,” Adams County District Court Judge Harlan Bockman said.

Candelario, a former state trooper, put the boy in a 4 foot by 3 foot kennel each day at 4 p.m. and let him out hours later when she returned from work, authorities said.

She pleaded guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit child abuse that resulted in bodily harm and a misdemeanor count of child abuse.

The boy was 10 when the abuse began and 13 when Candelario was arrested last May.

“I felt like I was in a prison in my home,” said a letter from the boy, which was read in court. “When I was in the cage, I felt scared and lonely and that I was not loved by my grandma.”

The boy’s foster mother said the boy refused to attend sentencing because he remains afraid of Candelario.

Information source: washingtonpost.com

Police: Man neglected sons, kept wife drugged

S.C. house was trashed except for tidy room used for gambling


Updated: 12:39 p.m. ET May 12, 2007

CHESTER, S.C. – For nearly four years, a South Carolina man held his wife and two sons captive in a house infested with maggots and human waste, authorities said.

The boys slept on a bare mattress as their mother was kept in a drug-induced stupor in a house that was decrepit except for a tidy one-room illegal gambling parlor run by Danny William Dove, police said.

Police found maggots infesting the refrigerator. Human waste and used toilet paper littered the bathroom floor and the house smelled like a dead animal, according to police photographs and authorities who visited the home after Dove was arrested this week.

The living room was covered in trash and upturned furniture, the kitchen’s cabinets were falling apart and dirty clothing was piled in waist-high heaps.

“There was chaos everywhere,” Chester County Sheriff’s Detective Scott Thompson said Thursday. “I don’t think we’ll ever really determine how it happened — how you get to live like that. I think he got so wrapped up in drugs and wanting to control everything, nothing else mattered.”

Boys monitored via video
The young boys, ages 4 and 8, didn’t go to school. Police say they rarely were allowed out of the house and that a video camera monitored their room and the doors to the home. The boys’ own grandmother says they’re hard to understand unless they’re cursing.

Dove, 45, plied his wife, Tamara, with prescription painkillers, cocaine and crack, and forbade her to go outside, police said. Thompson said he didn’t expect the 37-year-old mother would be lucid enough to be interviewed for weeks.

“People don’t understand why she just doesn’t leave,” Thompson said. “But with a little intimidation and a lot of drug use, this is what they grew to know as normal life.”

Dove was charged with two counts of distribution of a controlled substance, two counts of criminal conspiracy, operating a gambling establishment and two counts of child neglect. He remained in jail Thursday without bond. If convicted, he faces up to 40 years in prison.

But Dove’s mother said her son held no one hostage and that his wife was the root of the couple’s drug addiction.

“She’s driven my son crazy,” Helaine Young said in an interview at her home.

Once owned convenience stores
Young said she threw up when she visited the home with police, her first visit since Christmas 2005, when she said she left after being threatened by her daughter-in-law.

Young said her son was once a wealthy owner of several convenience stores, paying for anything his wife requested including baby sitters and house cleaners. Her son installed the cameras for the family’s security when he renovated the home in a rural town near the North Carolina line, she said. The pair met about 13 years ago, Young said.

Young, who has taken care of the couple’s 12-year-old son since he was an infant, said she’s asked the Department of Social Services repeatedly over the last six years to investigate.

Messages left with Department of Social Services were not immediately returned Friday.

Dove’s oldest child, 20-year-old Brittney Dove, said she and a friend used to take care of the boys when she stayed in the home. But she last saw them about three years ago, she said.

“She would not get out of the bed,” Brittney said of the boys’ mother. “It disgusts me that he’s in jail. I’m not condoning what he did. There’s no excuse for the child neglect. But she should be there, too. He honestly loved her. He was nothing but good to her.” (*now there is a totally insane statement*)

‘Cuss words’ from boys
Thompson said the boys were socially inept.

“The oldest one can communicate, but it’s on a 3- to 4-year-old, broken-English level,” he said. “The 4-year-old jibber jabbers. It’s rambling stuff.”

Young said the two knew how to curse because that’s what they heard at home.

“The cuss words were the plainest words you can hear from them,” she said, recalling phone conversations with the boys.

The boys are living safely with a relative, Thompson said.

“Maybe now we’ve given these kids the chance of a normal life,” Thompson said.

Information source: MSNBC.com

Texas mom accused of selling teen daughter to man

Houston & Texas News
May 10, 2007, 2:15PM
Associated Press



valdez.jpg
WICHITA FALLS — A mother suspected of selling her 15-year-old daughter to a man accused of child sex crimes has been indicted for the alleged $3,000 sale.

Tina Valdez, 37, reported her daughter missing to authorities in August, claiming the teen was a runaway, Archer County Sheriff Ed Daniels said today. Valdez had a note she told police her daughter had written that said the teen was going to look for her father, Daniels said.

Late last month and after federal authorities had spoken to the teen, who was in Mexico, Valdez told investigators that she had sold her daughter while they interviewed her about filing a false report about her daughter being a runaway, he said.

“She just needed money, clothes and food,” Daniels said.

The sheriff said that after purchasing the Windthorst teen, the man and the girl went to Mexico.

Once located in Mexico by federal authorities, the girl went to the U.S Consulate in Mexico and is now back in the U.S. in foster care, officials said.

Valdez and the man who allegedly bought her daughter, 35-year-old Jason Carlile, were indicted Monday on charges of purchase or sale of a child, a third-degree felony, said Jack McGaughey, the district attorney for Clay, Archer and Montague counties.

Valdez remained in the Jack County Jail on Thursday on $150,000 bond. It was not clear whether she had an attorney.

Carlile, who surrendered to Mexican authorities before being brought back to Texas, remained in the Harris County Jail today on $150,000 bond.

Carlile, who faced charges of indecency with a child and possession of child pornography in Wichita County at the time he allegedly took the teen to Mexico, didn’t have an attorney yet, a jail official in Houston said.

Information source: Houston Chronicle